Monday, March 26, 2007

Recipes

Here is a recipe I would like to share - very easy and very yummy. It is from my mother-in-law.

Baked Spaghetti

1 normal size package of spaghetti
8 -12 oz Italian Sausage (I like the Hot flavor, you can skip sausage if you don't like)
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
1 carton of cottage cheese - I think 16 oz.
8 oz shredded mozzarella
1/2 - 1 c parmesan cheese
1 egg

Cook sausage, crumble it, drain fat. Add sauce and heat.
Mix the cheeses and egg well.
Cook the spaghetti until almost done, still a little chewy, drain pasta.
Spray 9"x13" pan with Pam.
Put half the pasta on bottom of pan.
Spread cheese mixture over the pasta as best you can, its lumpy.
Put the rest of the pasta on top of that.
Pour the sausage/sauce over the top.
Sprinkle more mozzarella or parmesan on top
Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.

This is really good as leftovers, or you can freeze it then bake. Sooo good!! If you have a recipe you love, post it in the comments or just post it on your blog this week. I will be looking for them! Al always makes fun of me because I spend hours just looking through cook books and online for recipes so this will be very helpful!

8 comments:

See it Try it Love it said...

That sounds great Ali. I will post one on my blog.

The Wilkins' said...

Sounds yummy! I'm going to have to make that this week.
Here's a favorite of mine:

Title: Spicy Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
2 Tb olive oil
1 onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
32 oz chicken broth
14 oz mexican style tomatoes
4 oz green chilies
1+ teaspoon cumin (add more if you like it more spicy)
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp sugar
1 Tbs lime juice
3 chicken breasts (cooked and shredded)
diced avocado
sour cream
freshly cut cilantro
4 oz shredded monterey jack cheese (cheddar can work, too)
1 cup tortilla chips, crushed

Directions:
In a 6 quart pot combine onion, garlic, and olive oil and saute for 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
Add remaining ingredients and puree. Stir mixture. Add crushed corn tortilla chips. Stir well, cover and simmer about 30 minutes. If liquid cooks down too much, add water. When ready to serve, put some cheese, cilantro, sour cream, avocado and a handful of broken chips in bowl before serving soup.

The Wilkins' said...

I couldn't decide between two, so here's another one:

Title: Blackened Chicken w/Pasta in a tomato cream sauce

Ingredients:
CHICKEN:
4 chicken breast halves
Nonstick cooking spray
Cajun Mixture:
2 ½ Tbs. paprika
2 Tbs. garlic powder
1 Tbs. salt
1 Tbs. onion powder
1 Tbs. dried thyme
1 Tbs. ground red pepper
1 Tbs. black pepper
(I halfed all of these - I've made this dish 3 times and still have some left)

PASTA SAUCE:
8 oz. penne or other tube pasta
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion (or something similar)
1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped OR 1 tsp. dried basil
3/4 c. whipping cream
1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated.


Directions:
CHICKEN:
Combine ingredients for Cajun mixture and store in an airtight container. When ready to use, rub chicken breasts with small amount of Cajun mixture. Coat a large heavy skillet with nonstick cooking spray and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add chicken and cook 7 minutes on each side, or until done. Remove chicken from skillet and let cool. Cut chicken across grain into thin slices. Serve on top of pasta or salad.

*This can be kind of spicy, so go easy on the Cajun mixture, until you figure out how much you like.
**You will only use a small amount of the Cajun mixture, so keep the remainder in an airtight container.


PASTA SAUCE:
Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and keep warm. Cook tomatoes over medium-high heat in skillet until thickened, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat; add basil and cream. Heat through. DO NOT BOIL. Toss with pasta and cheese. Serve immediately.

Dallas and Krista said...

K wait- this has nothing to do with food, but how exactly do I pull the breast feeding mother card? Who do I tell that to? I think I might need to call you...

chris+amber said...

YUM YUM YUM!! Sounds super good. And it sounds like something my kids would be willing to eat too! I love Katie's recipes too. I am a big soup fan! Thanks guys!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ali,
Cooper is adorable! We for sure need to get together soon so Griffin and Cooper can start their friendship! I like the recipe idea on the blog. See ya soon!

Ella A. said...

I don't really cook dinner, ever, thanks to Jared, but her is one of my favorite lunchtime recipes. It is simple, but yummy.

Homemade Macaroni and Cheese

1 cup of your favorite pasta shape
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 TBSP margarine or butter
1 TBSP all purpose flour
1 1/4 cups milk
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I like white cheddar or parmesan or both)
Dash of pepper

1. Cook pasta about 10 minutes until tender but firm. Drain well.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook onion in butter until tender but not brown. Stir in flour or pepper. Add milk all at once. Cook and stir till slightly thickened and bubbly. Add cheese, stir until all melted. Stir in cooked macaroni. Transfer to one quart casserole dish.
3. Bake in 350 oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy :)

The Wilkins' said...

Ali - I tried your baked spaghetti tonight. It was VERY tasty! And, Trever liked it too! Whenever I try a new recipe I always ask him if I should add it to the rotation. This one was a "yes!"